Over the past four years, the MLA and Friends of Muskoka have closely followed and actively participated in all council and committee meetings where issues of importance to our members were on the agenda. We have been able to observe the effectiveness and the track record of both Peter Kelley and Phil Harding on matters of concern to waterfront property owners.
We fully support Peter Kelley for Mayor
- Peter’s comments and decisions demonstrate unwavering alignment with our goals of ensuring that development is done responsibly – in a way that respects, protects and preserves Muskoka.
- He voted for new by-laws to manage excessive blasting and tree clearing
- He voted against many over-developed property applications
- Peter is a respected voice on council.
- Peter’s successful career in law and business is evident in his ability to quickly decipher and comment on the township’s policies, by-laws, annual budget and financial statements.
- Peter’s legal skills have added great value to the township’s efforts to strengthen enforcement.
- Peter advocates for creative approaches when fines and education alone are not sufficient deterrents.
- Peter fought for reduced tax increases and zero-based budgeting. He consistently demonstrates his commitment to responsible taxation and fiscal prudence during annual budget reviews.
- Peter fights to protect the environment on Council and in community, including as Chair of Friends of the Muskoka Watershed
Peter’s proven leadership in business and financial acumen, combined with his lack of conflicts of interest with the development community, make him the candidate best suited to lead council as Mayor – to face the critical issues threatening Muskoka, and implement the Official Plan and by-laws needed to protect your rights as a property owner and the value of your investment in Muskoka
Peter’s website peterkelley.ca details his background and his role as a Councillor in Ward C.
He began his career as a corporate lawyer in private practice, before moving to become President of GE Commercial Distribution Finance for 17 years. Upon leaving GE in 2007, he successfully co-founded TCF Inventory Finance, now a $3 billion subsidiary of Huntington Bank.
Peter has spent the last four years serving the Township of Muskoka Lakes as a Councillor for Ward C. He also serves his community as the Board Chair of the Friends of the Muskoka Watershed, as a Director of the TML Chamber of Commerce, as the president of the Port Carling Lions Club and serves on the Fundraising and Build Committees for the Habitat for Humanity Bala build.
For 23 years Peter and his wife Valerie Duke (a sixth-generation native of Port Carling) have been cottagers on Lake Joseph. In 2015 the couple, and their daughter Sarah who attends high school in Muskoka, decided to make Port Carling their year-round home.
Peter states: ‘We have to do better! Muskoka’s environment is under constant threat. Fines for bylaw breaches are insufficient to correct behaviour. Our permanent residents are challenged by a lack of permanent year-round employment and an attainable housing crisis. Public engagement in community building and budgeting is inadequate. Stronger Leadership is needed now!”
To Learn More about Peter
Peter has a four point Action Plan to ‘do better’ for Muskoka, which you can read about in detail on his website: www.peterkelley.ca
- Put Muskoka’s Environment First
- Focus on Compliance and By-law Enforcement
- Promote Community Development
- Improve Public Engagement in Township Matters
Watch these videos to learn more about Peter and his position on key issues facing Muskoka.
Facebook: Peter Kelley