On March 18 at 9 am, the Township of Muskoka Lakes will convene a virtual Special Planning Meeting to consider changes to a few Zoning By-Laws.
The first draft amendment is described in our September, 2021 e-blast. As initially drafted, it affected property owners who want to:
- Expand dwellings and sleeping cabins on very undersized lots (less than 100’ width of shoreline or 15,000 square feet of land)
- Add a second story where lot coverage is already exceeded, or
- Extend docks or boathouses that already exceed permitted widths, unless the width is brought into compliance (eg. remove any dock that exceeds the permitted width)
The amendment also sought to mitigate the increasing trend of illegally converting sheds and detached garages into living spaces by proposing:
- A maximum of two accessory buildings (sheds, detached garages), totalling 1,000 square feet of floor area
- Accessory buildings must be single story, other than a detached garage with a second story sleeping cabin
A revised Amendment will be released March 11th. We will consider its implications and keep you informed.
To delegate at this meeting for 2 minutes, you need to make a request by 6pm on Tuesday March 15th.